If you have been invited for an interview, that’s great however this excitement can easily turn sour if you fail to prepare properly. Preparation can be the defining factor between success and failure. Below are a few interview tips to assist you. If in doubt, remember we offer interview preparation coaching.
- Understand your CV. Be prepared to expand on information already stated in your CV.
- Know your strengths. Aim for ten key strengths that make you an ideal candidate for the position.
- Do your research. Go on the internet and find out as much information as possible about who the company is and what they do.
- Know the position you’ve applied for. Before attending an interview please review any information you have been sent regarding the position and if you have a job description, know this inside out.
- Dress to impress. Always select your interview clothing carefully. It is advisable to always dress smartly to create the best possible first impression.
- Know where you are going. It is advisable to plan how you are going to get to the interview in advance.
- Don’t be late. When attending an interview it is always better to be very early than very late.
- Initial impression. When sitting down at the interview be aware of your body language and posture, always stand or sit up straight and be sure to smile and give a quality handshake.
- Confidence. It is essential that you outline to the interviewer what you can offer the company and the benefits of employing you
- Don’t be distracted. Always concentrate on the interviewer and the questions he or she is asking.
- Be honest. It is always best to be honest when discussing your employment or educational experience.
- Be positive. No matter how tempting it may be, never bad-mouth your previous employers. It is always far more credible to focus on positive achievements and experiences.
- Speak correctly. Don’t talk too much or too fast and try to be aware of your speech when you are being interviewed.
- Question time. If you have prepared properly it is inevitable that you will have some questions you will want to ask about the company. This is a good thing as it illustrates your interest in the company and the position you are applying for
- Politeness. Always remember to say thank you and say that it has been a pleasure meeting the interviewer.